Have you had your teeth professionally cleaned this year? Professional dental cleanings can have a big impact on your overall health in addition to keeping your smile dazzling. Oral hygiene issues have been connected to a number of serious ailments. Bone loss, cardiovascular disease, strokes, malignancies, and a variety of other medical and dental disorders are all linked to this condition. Brushing and flossing at home are important, but to keep your teeth healthy and clean, you should see Dr. Borham on a regular basis and have annual dental cleanings with your dental hygienist.
Everyone is encouraged to get their teeth professionally cleaned. The technique, also known as prophylaxis, involves removing calcified plaque or tartar deposits from the surface of the teeth in order to avoid the dental issues they may bring if left untreated. Even when a person properly and frequently washes or flosses their teeth, these deposits can still easily build up. Regular brushing can help to decrease plaque buildup but cannot totally stop it.
Bacteria-filled soft, sticky film is called plaque. Plaque buildup over time can easily result in cavities and, in the long run, tooth decay. In contrast, tartar is a hard calcium deposit that accumulates over time in a similar way to how limescale does on a kettle or water pipe. Since it typically matches the teeth in color, some people may find it difficult to perceive. But occasionally it has a brown or black hue. The state of the teeth becomes ideal for the growth of bacteria if tartar is not eliminated. Professional dental cleaning leaves the tooth’s surface smooth and clean, making it difficult for bacteria to adhere to it.
Here are six reasons why you should hire a professional cleaner:
- The prevention of cavities is one of the most obvious reasons why people visit the dentist on a regular basis for check-ups and cleanings. After all, getting a cleaning is significantly less expensive than filling a cavity or having a root canal. Cleaning your teeth is also a lot more enjoyable than having dental cavities filled.
- Cleaning your teeth can help you avoid gum disease, which can lead to tooth loss.
- Most stains that dull and discolor your teeth can be removed by your dental hygienist, leaving you with a brighter, whiter smile.
- Many dental plans cover cleanings, and by taking advantage of your policy, you’ll save money on dental costs in the long term.
- There is a substantial association between gum disease and cardiovascular disease. Cleaning your teeth twice a year not only prevents gum disease, but it also lowers your risk of potentially fatal heart attacks and strokes.
- Your dentist can easily notice early indicators of problems including fractured fillings and fractures during a thorough dental cleaning.
Professional dental cleanings allow the dentist or hygienist to compare the current status of your oral health to past appointments. If you are heading in the wrong direction, you will need fast help to get back on course. Regular dental cleanings and check-ups can help prevent and treat persistent foul breath. Call today or schedule an appointment with a skilled dentist to receive the dental treatment you deserve. We offer a wide range of dental services at Mesilla Valley Family Dentistry, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialist procedures and total dental reconstruction. Our first priority is patient pleasure, and we strive to provide outstanding, affordable dental care with a personal touch that fosters long-term relationships. Our greatest satisfaction is seeing a patient smile, and we strive to keep their smiles healthy, attractive, and bright. Find a dentist who is experienced and truly cares about his or her patients.