Your message has been sent. We will contact you shortly if your message requires a response.
Safe Amalgam Removal
As your Oral Health Doctor, We are aware that mercury vapor can have a negative impact on oral and overall health. Because of this concern, we focus on patient education and strive to remove mercury amalgam (silver) fillings in a safe way.
We believe it is important to protect the patient, the environment, and our staff from exposure to excessive and unnecessary occupational exposure to mercury during the amalgam removal process. Making the dental office mercury safe is supported by the American Dental Association (ADA) and other dental organizations. .
Our doctors has completed the NDD course, and received a Certification, in How to Make Your Practice Mercury Safe - Minimizing Occupational Exposure to Mercury in the Dental Office. This is the only course of its kind offered to dentists and qualifies the doctor to remove mercury amalgam fillings safely, protecting the doctor, the staff, the patients, and the environment from excessive and unnecessary exposure to mercury vapor at the dental office. Our doctors are active members of the IAOMT. Click here for a list of members in NM.
We also utilize safe & proven removal protocols based on recommendations of the International Association of Mercury Safe Dentistry (IAMSD), and the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT). For more information click here.
Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART)
These are protocols that are specified and recommended by the international Academy of Oral medicine and toxicology (IAOMT), and include:
- Utilizing an independent mercury vapor unit (Dent Air Vac) designed specifically to remove and filter toxic mercury vapors away from the immediate breathing area. This is used solely during the mercury removal process.
- Utilizing an efficient suction system that contains the amalgam particles and mercury vapor.
- Isolating the involve teeth from the rest of the mouth with Iso-dry isolation system to prevent ingestion of particles.
- Applying copious amount of water, to minimize heat generation and subsequent mercury vapor.
- Removing the amalgam in large segments to minimize mercury vapor generation.
- Provide an independent airway mask for a mercury free source of oxygen.
- Protect the environment by collecting old mercury particles and safely dispose of them with recycling equipment.
Our office uses bio-compatible BPA-Free tooth-colored composite restoration and metal-free porcelain crowns to replace amalgam. The results of these cosmetic and biological materials will deliver a beautiful and natural smile.