Mercury Safe Dentistry
Safe Amalgam Removal
At Mesilla Valley Family Dentistry, we utilize safe & proven protocols to remove amalgam fillings based on recommendations of the International Association of Mercury Safe Dentistry (IAMSD), and the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT). Making the dental office mercury safe is supported by the American Dental Association (ADA) and other dental organizations. For more information click here
Our doctor has completed the NDD course, and received a Certification, in How to Make Your Practice Mercury Safe – Minimizing Occupational Exposure to Mercury in the Dental Office. This is the only course of its kind offered to dentists and qualifies the doctor to remove amalgam fillings safely, protecting the doctor, the staff, the patients, and the environment from excessive and unnecessary exposure to mercury vapor at the dental office. Our doctors are active members of the IAOMT. Click here for a list of members in NM.
Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART)
These are protocols that are specified and recommended by the International Academy of Oral medicine and toxicology (IAOMT), and include:
- Utilizing an independent mercury vapor unit (Dent Air Vac) designed specifically to remove and filter vapors away from the immediate breathing area.
- Utilizing an efficient suction system that contains the amalgam particles and vapor.
- Isolating the involve teeth from the rest of the mouth with Iso-dry isolation system to prevent ingestion of particles.
- Applying copious amount of water, to minimize heat generation and subsequent vapor.
- Removing the amalgam in large segments to minimize mercury vapor generation.
- Provide an independent airway mask for a 100% source of oxygen.
- Protect the environment by collecting old amalgam particles and safely dispose of them with recycling equipment.
Our office uses bio-compatible BPA-Free tooth-colored composite restoration and metal-free porcelain crowns to replace amalgam. The results of these cosmetic and biological materials will deliver a beautiful and natural smile.